Today I am getting ready to announce our one year anniversary. That’s right, Gate of Life Wellness is a year old next week. The office is still lovely and peaceful. I am so fortunate to get to do a job I love, in a space that is perfect for me. As I look back on our first year in business, I wanted to reflect on some of the things I’ve learned.
1. Marketing is hard. The simple task of letting people know where you are and what you have to offer is harder than it seems. Some things that should be effective aren’t. Some things that you don’t think will make a difference do. The best marketing I can do is to provide extraordinary service so that your current patients will refer you to their friends, family and co-workers. So from this side of the desk I ask you please – if you have ANY service provider for any type of service (hair stylist, auto mechanic, accountant, massage therapist, or acupuncturist) who you really appreciate, and who has really done a good job for you, you can thank them by telling people – tell them in person, tell them via Facebook and Google reviews, hand them your service provider’s business card, but whatever you do, do tell people.
2. Things ebb and flow. This is just a truism of life. Some months I do lots of treatments, other months are full of holidays and weather that either keeps people at home or sends them to the beach. This is just life. Go with it.
3. Most people don’t get the chance to feel heard. Listen more.
4. No matter how sunny our outlook, persistent pain makes everything harder. Compassion helps.
5. There’s a lot of confusion out there about what behaviors are healthy – among professionals and non-professionals alike. The tried and true test – Do you feel better and/or move through life more effectively and happily when you are doing X (eating X, avoiding X foods, etc)? You are the expert on you.
6. Taking a moment to really appreciate things makes a difference. For example, do I love taking the trash out at the clinic? Not really. Do I love that fact that I am fortunate enough to have been able to open this clinic? Absolutely! When taking out the trash can be a celebration that I get to do this, then suddenly it’s a beautiful walk in the sunshine rather than a distasteful chore. That may not matter to anyone I meet, but it means I enjoy that five minutes a whole lot more.
So thank you to all of you who have come for services here at Gate of Life Wellness. Thanks for helping to make our work here possible. You are the reason we do this. Next week I will be announcing some Birthday specials. Today I offer my gratitude and thanks for all of you who have come with me on this wild journey. May Gate of Life Wellness and all those it serves grow and thrive.